IMPORTANT RACE DAY INFORMATION
Baby Joggers, Strollers, Skateboards, Etc.
Baby joggers, strollers, bicycles, in-line skates, skate-boards, and like means of transportation are not permitted in the Tely 10 race for safety reasons. Running with dogs is also not permitted. Violators may be subject to disqualification with no refund on entry fee.
Due to legal liability, race participants are advised to NOT bring headphones or other music devices with them to the race. Runners should not wear headphones so that they can run safely for themselves and fellow Tely 10 participants!
Placing and Awards (Gun Time OR Chip Time)
Gun Time is the official time. All race placing awards are based on GUN TIME - the time from the start of the race (gun) to when you cross the finish line as per IAAF, Athletics Canada, USATF, AIMS and International Awards standards. The Chip timing is purely for personal interest to track runner's personal performance. Chip times will be shown in the results.
- All race participants must have official “Tely 10” numbers securely fastened to the FRONT of their shirts.
- Bib numbers must be fully visible at all times.
- It is advisable that you write your name, phone number and any special medical conditions or necessary medication on the back of the number in pencil or indelible ink.
Race Kit Pick-up
All Race Kits (bib number, T-shirt, Chip and race information) MUST be picked up during the following times:
Location: The Re/Max Centre (St. John’s Curling Club), 135 Mayor Avenue, St. John’s
- Thu, July 23rd - 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.;
- Fri, July 24th - 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.;
- Sat, July 25th - 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Google Map and Race Kit Pick-up Authorization Form
Race Start Time and Location
The race will start at 8:00 a.m. sharp on McNamara Road close to the Paradise Rotary Paradise Youth and Community Centre, near the Octagon Pond, approximately two miles past the Donovan’s Overpass. Wheelchair athletes will depart at 7:55 a.m.. Runners are advised that Topsail Road in the immediate area of the starting point will be closed to motor vehicles. Please take advantage of the BUS TO START at $5 opportunity now available from two locations:
- Johnson Insurance Parking Lot, Fort William Building, 10 Factory Lane, St. John’s
- Confederation Building parking lot, access off Allandale Rd, St. John’s; Google Map
The Finish Line will close at 11:30 a.m. Roads will reopen to traffic earlier.
Water Stations - 7 locations
Will be located at the start and finish areas, and on the course at approximately the 2.5-mile, the 3.9-mile, the 5-mile, the 7.5-mile and the 9 mile points.
Race participants are please requested not to linger at the water tables as this may impede other runners in their attempts to receive water. Several tables will be set up at all stations to make water access easier. These tables will be separated by several meters. Please take your water cup with you and move well away from the tables if you wish to stop and drink for a few moments. Remember some people are running for time and may not appreciate congestion at the water tables.
- Station #1 (Start): Water only
- Station #2 (2.5-mile): Water only
- Station #3 (3.9-mile): Water only
- Station #4 (5.2-mile): Water & Gatorade
- Station #5 (7.5-mile): Water & Gatorade
- Station #6 (9-mile): Water & Gatorade
- Station #7 (Finish): Water only
Gatorade will be available at the first tables at the 5.2-mile, 7.5-mile, and 9-mile stations.
Washroom Facilities / Portable Toilets
- Washrooms will be available at the Paradise Rotary Paradise Youth and Community Centre.
- Several portable toilets will also be available in the immediate starting area at the top of McNamara Road to the rear of the starting corrals.
- On the race course: at approximately 3.1 mile on Topsail Rd
- On the race course: past the 6 mile point (corner of Topsail Rd and Holbrook Avenue)
- On the race course: before the 8 mile point (Colonial Garage & Distributors Limited, 355 Hamilton Avenue)
- Near the finish line at the Softball Field, Bannerman Park
Before the race, warm-up clothing may be checked onto the baggage buses located at the rear of the starting area. These buses will bring your clothing to the finish area in Bannerman Park. You can use the plastic bag provided with your registration packet or use your own; please affix the baggage label provided to this plastic bag. Buses will be clearly marked according to bib numbers.
- All baggage must be checked by 7:45 a.m.
- Do not check any valuables. Although we will do our best to see that your bag is waiting at the end of the race, we are not responsible for lost baggage.
- Baggage buses will remain in the finish area until 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, July 26.
- After race day (Tuesday through Friday), any remaining baggage may be claimed at the NLAA office.
- Baggage not claimed by Friday, July 31, 2015, will be donated to charity or otherwise disposed off.
Start Line Information
- Competition number must be clearly displayed on front of person.
- Computerized timing chip must be securely fastened in shoelace
- A 20 minute warning signal will be given by the Start Coordinator, at which time all participants should remove warm-up clothing and proceed to the starting corrals.
- At 10 minutes before the start, a second warning signal will be given. All participants should now be in the starting corrals.
- Runners/Walkers should enter only the corral of their anticipated finishing time.
- under 1:05
- 1:05 - 1:15
- 1:15 - 1:25
- 1:25 - 1:35
- 1:35 - 2:00
- Only competitive runners expecting to run the race in less than 60 minutes should occupy the front corral. Runners expecting to run the race under 65 minutes should occupy the next corral and so on.
- All other participants should line up behind the signs indicating expected finishing time.
- Please exercise due caution at the start of the race especially as you cross the timing mats at the Start Line. You must step on those mats in order for your time to be recorded.
- Each participant must ensure that the mats are actually stepped on.
- Once the race is underway and the crowd thins out, stay on the right hand side of the road at all times.
Each mile of the course is officially marked by mile signs. These signs are located on the right side of the road and clearly visible to all participants.
Once the field has spread out, runners should remain on the right side of the road throughout the race. On those sections of the course where there are two lanes, runners should remain within the right hand lane closest to the curb. Police vehicles will patrol the course. Race marshals with reflective vests will be stationed at most intersections to direct runners and control traffic. Automobiles will be kept off the course during the first mile of the race, and the final section on Bannerman Road will be closed to traffic. For the safety of all runners it is suggested that family members not drive along the course close to runners. This sometimes leads to traffic congestion which can be an annoyance to runners immediately behind. Runners should nonetheless be aware that they are running on public roads, and exercise due caution, particularly when approaching major intersections.
Emergency Service / Medical Aid
The course will be patrolled by medical personnel provided by the Saint John Ambulance and Eastern Health. Ambulances and cyclists will patrol the entire route. If you feel faint or exhausted or injure yourself, please signal to these people. Please note SJA staff may request any runner to withdraw from the race for medical or safety reasons.
Finish Line Information
The course will turn sharply left off Military Road at the Colonial Building onto the left lane of Bannerman Road. The finish line is at the Bannerman Park Pool, approximately 200 metres beyond the turn.
The runner’s number must be clearly displayed on the front of his or her person as he or she crosses the finish line.
Bottled water (ONE for each runner) and a “goody bag” will be handed to you as you exit the chute. Once you receive these, please move some distance from the area to allow other runners room to exit the chute.
Please note: You must cross the finish line only once. If you go back on the course to accompany a friend, please DO NOT cross the finish line for a second time.
Please do not go back on the course in the finishing stretch (i.e. along Bannerman Road) and accompany a friend across the line. This could lead to confusion among finish line officials and cause inaccurate results to be recorded.
Please exit the chute as quickly as possible to avoid a pile up of runners in chute behind you.
Bus to Start Line - $5
Bus to Start Line is $5 - Each Tely 10 participant must purchase a ticket DURING REGISTRATION to use the BUS to Start Line.
- Bus tickets will only be sold online before 11:59 pm, Wednesday, July 15, 2015.
- Participants must show their race number to board the bus.
- Buses leave from the following two locations, on a load and go basis between 6.15 a.m. and 7.00 a.m.:
- The start area will have buses available for transportation of warm-up clothing to the finish line area. All warm-up clothing bags must be clearly marked with the participant’s bib number. Baggage buses will remain in the finish area until 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, July 26.
Please Note: Official Vehicles only will be permitted in the start area as McNamara Rd /Topsail Rd will be closed in both directions approximately 1.5km from the start line.
Designated Drop-off Locations in Paradise
- Topsail Rd @ Octagon Heights
- McNamara Rd @ Maverick Place
- Please note that there is no race designated parking area in Paradise.
- Plan to arrive at least one hour prior to the start of the race. With the amount of people participating, everything from toilets to baggage check will take longer.
- We recommend that you use the Bus to Start Line or carpool as there is NO parking on the side streets near the start area.
Men's & Women's T-Shirts
For the first time the Tely 10 will offer custom designed sublimated t-shirts. Gender specific sizing will only be guaranteed until midnight on April 30th.
After April 30th, women will receive a size medium and men a size large. [sizing chart]