THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
(2016) Recipient: Keith Glynn
The winner for this year was lovingly nominated by his daughters. Clearly his family is very proud of this inspiration and the encouragement he provides for others to join the Tely 10 running community.
They told us that at 46 years of age, he got inspired to become more physically active.
That was 8 years ago and he has not stopped since, having run every Tely since then. He’s also completed 8 Cape to Cabot races, and a couple of marathons, for good measure!
Along the way, he’s also co-founded the Paradise Running Club, which is very well represented here today. In 7 years it’s grown to over 140 active runners, supported by his active membership building efforts and inspiring approach to helping others get fit.
Even having suffered lung infections in recent years, Keith has not slowed his running efforts or his club building work. Once he recovered, he went on to twice finish the Tely 10 in just over 71 minutes.
We hear that he even plans his work travel schedule and his vacation time around key running events like the Tely 10.
A good friend and mentor for many local runners, especially his community in Paradise. He has served as a leader in the Paradise Running Club Learn-to-Run program and takes a team approach to all the efforts to continue to build membership and activity in that club. If you’ve been to the Santa Shuffle run in Paradise, you’ve seen some of the results of Keith’s efforts.
We are proud to announce that the Dr. John P. Williams Award for 2016 is awarded to well-known runner Keith Glynn.
Presenting the award are Dr. Williams’s children - brother and sisters Peter and Siobhan and Patricia Williams.
Keith Glynn – come on up!
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Sunday, July 15, 2018.
- Please send resume the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.