THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
(2012) Recipient: Murdock Hiscock
The Grand Bank/Fortune Running Club would like to nominate Murdock Hiscock for the Dr. J. Williams Award. Murdock has been running for over twenty years and has participated in and finished in first place for his age group several times.
In April 2011, Murdock assisted Nancy Douglas in forming the Grand Bank/Fortune Running Club. Most of the members of this group are fairly new runners and it has been a great pleasure learning the skill and art of running from Murdock and Nancy. Murdock is always there to encourage us along.
We have held several 5 km races over the past year and a half and Murdock has been there encouraging and cheering us to the finish line.
Murdock has overcome some great hardships in the past couple of years. His daughter, Juliette, lost her life in a motor cycle accident while vacationing in the United States in the summer of 2010. She had been training to run the Tely 10 with her dad that year but unfortunately she passed away in early July. Murdock didn't run the Tely 10 that year but last year he was back and ran the race with his daughter, Tina, who travelled from Ontario to run with her Dad and they both wore t-shirts proclaiming that they were running for Juliette. In October of 2011, Murdock suffered a heart attack while running the Cape to Cabot. By late October he was back cheering us on as we held a fun run for Halloween and he hasn't looked back. Murdock is registered to run the Tely 10 again this year, along with 8 other members of the Running Club. He is an inspiration to all of us and we feel he is most deserving of the Dr. Williams Award.
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Saturday, July 15, 2017.
- Please send resume the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.