THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
- Gordon Brockerville - year 2017
- Keith Glynn - year 2016
- D’Arcy Hart - year 2015
- Derrick Roul - year 2014
- Todd Ralph - year 2013
- Murdock Hiscock - year 2012
- Mark Chancey - year 2011
- Bill Aylward - year 2010
- Nora Hutchings - year 2008
- Ralph Chancey - year 2007
- Harry Cooze - year 2006
- Don Winsor - year 2005
(2007) Recipient: Ralph Chancey
This year's winner of the Dr. John Williams award is Mr. Ralph Chancey. Mr. Chancey certainly meets this criteria, having ran his first Tely 10 in 2004, at the age of 60. This was a significant feat for Ralph. In preparation for his first Tely 10, he first had to lose 100 pounds, which was achieved mainly through his newly acquired love of running.
After seeing his father lose a significant amount of weight and run a 10 mile race, his son Mark was inspired to also become physically active, and following in his father's footsteps, he too lost 100 pounds. In the 2005 Tely 10 Mr. Chancey was accompanied by his son and two daughters. Since that first race together the Chancey family has made running a family event, having run the Bluenose 10K, the PEI half-marathon and subsequent Tely 10's.
Through his participation in the Tely 10, Mr. Chancey has inspired his children who in turn inspired co-workers to become physically active. This year will see 15 new runners participate in the 80th Tely 10 - thanks to Ralph Chancey.
This event for the Chancey family is truly an inter-generational event. In 1934 and in 1936 Ralph Chancey's father Gordon Chancey also crossed the finish line at the Tely 10. This evening Gordon Chancey is with us to share in this great moment for his son that he has helped create. Ralph's son and 2 daughters and daughter-in-law also completed the Tely 10 today. What a wonderful way to celebrate our 80th anniversary of the Tely 10!
We now call upon Patricia Williams, daughter of the late Dr. John Williams, and Mr. Ralph Chancey to come forward to receive the Dr. John Williams award for 2007 for inspiring and motivating others to become physically active and participating in the Tely 10.
Congratulations to Ralph Chancey!
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Sunday, July 15, 2018.
- Please send resume the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.