THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
(2010) Recipient: Bill Aylward
Bill Aylward won this award in 2010.
He was nominated by someone who took inspiration from Bill's approach when he first took up the sport of running.
In his 40's Bill was extremely overweight and unfit and unfortunately suffered a heart attack. To specifically assist his recovery and improve his health, Bill began walking, which eventually led to running. Who could have predicted the results... Bill not only became fitter, but he also became a great runner for his age group and for several years was at the top of his age group.
He is acknowledged as having inspired many "mature" individuals to get into running as well.
As sometimes happens with active runners, a few years ago Bill unfortunately suffered a running injury (stress fracture in his foot). This forced him to stop running for approximately a year, during which time his main participation in running involved sitting on the sidelines cheering on his fellow runners. Eventually Bill was indeed able to run again; however, a year of recovery and inactivity meant that his level of conditioning was far below his previous fitness level. Undaunted, he did not give up running and is still a very active member in his running club - NRC. His race times may have lowered significantly, but Bill continues his personal commitment to run with NRC 4-5 times per week and is known for always there to offer support and encouragement to fellow runners and neighbours! To quote one neighbour in particular:" Bill is my next door neighbour and he inspired me to run and to enter races. Running and racing are now my passion. I am thankful for the inspiration provided by Bill."
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Saturday, July 15, 2017.
- Please send resume the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.