RACE DAY SCHEDULE - Sunday, June 25, 2023
- 6:00 am - 12:00 pm Park at Fort William Building or Confederation Building parking lot
- 6:15 am - 7:00 am Board “Bus to Start Line” Buses
- 6:30 am - 7:45 am Drop-off in Paradise
- Start of the 95th Annual Tely 10
- 7:57 am Wheelchair Competition
- 8:00 am Runners/Walkers
- 8:00 am - 11:30 am Finish Line Open
- 10:00 am Awards Presentation - All race awards will be presented at Bannerman Park.
- Top 5 Overall Runners
- Individual Awards
- Tely 10 Commemorative Pins
- The Dr. John Williams Award
- Team Awards
ARRIVING TO START AREA
The race will start at 8:00 am sharp on Topsail Road, west of Tilting Place, in the Town of Paradise, near the Octagon Pond, approximately two miles past the Donovan’s Overpass. Wheelchair athletes will depart at 7:57 am. Runners are advised that Topsail Road in the immediate area of the starting point will be closed to motor vehicles. Participants can purchase of the “BUS TO START” service during registration, now available from two locations:
- Johnson Insurance Parking Lot, Fort William Building, 10 Factory Lane, St. John’s
- Confederation Building parking lot, access off Allandale Rd, St. John’s; Google Map
Bib Number and Timing Chip
- Bring your race bib and the five (5) pins (one for the luggage tag)
- Securely fasten your race bib to the front and make sure it is visible.
- Fill out the medical/emergency information on the back of the bib number.
- AVOID TIMING CHIP INTERFERENCE:
DO NOT CROSS YOUR HANDS UNDER BIB WHILE OVER THE TIMING MATS AT THE START OF FINISH LINES.
Participants PARKING and BUS TO START LINE
- There is no race-designated parking and no side-street parking near the start.
- We suggest you purchase a bus pass with your online registration or carpool with friends.
Race participants can park their vehicle at Confederation Building or at the Johnson Insurance Parking Lot; they can then take the “Bus to Start Line”. Each Tely 10 participant must purchase a ticket DURING REGISTRATION to use the BUS to Start Line.
- Participants must show their race number to board the bus.
- Buses leave from the following two locations on a load and go basis between 6:15 am and 7:00 am:
- Johnson Insurance Parking Lot, Fort William Building, 10 Factory Lane, St. John’s
- Confederation Building parking lot, access off Allandale Rd, St. John’s;
Designated Drop-off Locations in Paradise
Drop-off Location: near the start line in Paradise; drop-off times: 6:30 am - 7:45 am.
- Driving west on Topsail Rd (coming from St. John’s):
McNamara Dr. North (west side, across from Sobeys Paradise, access via Topsail Rd)
- take the third exit at the roundabout (McNamara Dr west side); the designated drop-off area is between the roundabout exit and the entrance to Paradise Plaza; to exit, turn left on Burnaby St, loop through the Sobeys Parking lot and turn right (east) on Topsail Rd.
- Driving east on Topsail Rd (coming from Conception Bay South):
Topsail Rd @ Stanhope Drive
- Driving north on McNamara Dr:
Paradise Plaza parking lot (access via McNamara Dr/Kenmount Road extension)
- take a left turn at Paradise Plaza entrance; to exit: loop through the parking lot, turn right on McNamara Dr and continue south.
- Organizers recommend that participants use the “Bus to Start Line” or CARPOOL as there is NO parking on the side streets near the start area.
- Plan to arrive at least one hour before the start of the race. With the number of people participating, everything from toilets to baggage checks will take longer.
Baggage Buses / Warm-Up Clothing
All participants may check their warm-up clothing onto the baggage buses located near the starting area. These buses will bring your clothing to the finish area in Bannerman Park; buses will park on Rennies Mill Road. All warm-up clothing bags must be clearly marked with the participant’s bib number. Buses will be clearly marked according to bib numbers.
- Attached to each race bib is a coloured tag with the corresponding bib number printed on it.
- Affix the tag to your bag, and give it to the volunteer attending the bus that corresponds to your bib number (baggage buses are also marked according to bib numbers).
- Participants will need to show their bib number to the bus attendant to claim back their bag at the finish area, so do not throw out your bib after the race.
- All baggage must be checked by 7:45 a.m.
- Do not check any valuables. We are not responsible for lost baggage.
- Baggage buses will remain in the finish area until 11:30 a.m.
- After race day (Tuesday through Friday), any remaining baggage may be claimed at the NLAA office.
- Baggage not claimed by Friday, June 30, 2023, will be donated to charity or otherwise disposed of.
- All participants must have an official race number that is securely fastened to their front and visible. If you attach the number to your shorts and wear a fuel belt, please ensure the belt does not cover the number.
- A 20-minute warning signal will be given by the Start Coordinator, at which time all participants should remove warm-up clothing and proceed to the starting corrals.
- At 10-minutes before the start, a second warning signal will be given. All participants should now be in the starting corrals.
- Runners/Walkers should enter only the corral of their anticipated finishing time.
- under 1:05
- 1:05 - 1:15
- 1:15 - 1:25
- 1:25 - 1:35
- 1:35 - 2:00
- Only competitive runners expecting to run the race in less than 60 minutes should occupy the front corral. Runners expecting to run the race under 65 minutes should occupy the next corral and so on.
- All other participants should line up behind the signs indicating the expected finishing time.
- Please exercise due caution at the start of the race, especially as you cross the timing mats at the Start Line.
- Once the race is underway and the crowd thins out, stay on the right-hand side of the road.
ALONG THE RACECOURSE
Each mile of the course is officially marked by mile signs. These signs are located on the right side of the road and visible to all participants.
Time Limit! WALKERS
The Finish Line will close at 11:30 a.m.; roads will reopen to traffic earlier.
Race walkers can register for the race provided they can finish the course in less than three and a half hours.
After 10:30 a.m., walkers must use sidewalks along the course and obey all traffic rules.
Walkers must move onto the sidewalks when separated from the larger group of participants.
Walkers must obey traffic safety laws and always use common sense and good judgment. RNC always has the final authority to implement traffic control!
Tely 10 participants are reminded that the race uses public roads that are not entirely closed to all vehicular traffic. Race vehicles, local residents, and emergency vehicles may still be on the road.
Emergency Service / Medical Aid
The course will be patrolled by medical personnel provided by the Saint John Ambulance and Eastern Health. Ambulances and cyclists will patrol the entire route. If you feel faint or exhausted or injure yourself, please signal to these people. Please note that SJA staff may request any runner to withdraw from the race for medical or safety reasons.
Washroom Facilities / Portable Toilets
- Several portable toilets will be available next to the start area in the Octagon Pond parking lot.
- On the racecourse:
- at approximately 3.1 miles on Topsail Rd
- past the 6-mile point (corner of Topsail Rd and Holbrook Avenue)
- before the 8-mile point (Colonial Garage & Distributors Limited, 355 Hamilton Avenue)
- Near the finish line at the Softball Field, Bannerman Park
Water Stations - 8 Locations
Race participants are asked not to linger at the water tables as this may interfere with other runners in their attempts to receive water.
Several tables will be set up at all stations to make water access more accessible, and these tables will be separated by several meters. Please take your water cup with you and move well away from the tables if you wish to stop and drink for a few moments. Remember, some people are running for time and may not appreciate congestion at the water tables.
- Start Area: Water only
- Station #1 (2.5-mile): Water only (1179 Topsail Rd, Mount Pearl, NL)
- Station #2 (3.9-mile): Water only (943 Topsail Rd, Mount Pearl, NL / Eastern Health Paramedicine Station #2)
- Station #3 (5.2-mile): Water & Gatorade (655 Topsail Rd, St. John’s)
- Station #4 (7.1-mile): Water & Gatorade (across from 314 Topsail Rd, St. John’s)
- Station #5 (7.5-mile): Water & Gatorade (77-83 Cornwall Ave, St. John’s)
- Station #6 (9-mile): Water & Gatorade (95 Lemarchant Road, St. John’s)
- Finish Line: Water only
- Although some sections of the road will be closed and traffic diverted, please use caution and common sense at all times.
- Runners must follow and stay on the course.
- Runners must wear their bib so that it is visible to marshals. Anyone who fails to do so will be escorted from the racecourse.
- Runners should stay on the right side whenever there are cones on the road.
- Please run on the right side of the road (curb lane) as requested by the RNC.
- Obey the instructions of race marshals.
- Participants unable to finish the race for any reason may stop and signal to any of the medical personnel patrolling the course.
- Please notify race organizers that you have withdrawn from the course.
FINISH AREA INFORMATION
- The Finish Line is located at Bannerman Park Pool and will be open until 11:30 am.
- The runner’s number must be clearly displayed on the front of their person as their cross the finish line.
- Please note: Participants must cross the finish line only once. If you go back on the course to accompany a friend, please DO NOT cross the finish line for a second time. Please do not go back on the course in the finishing stretch (i.e. along Bannerman Road) and accompany a friend across the line. This could lead to confusion among finish line officials and cause inaccurate results to be recorded.
- After crossing the Finish Line, continue down Bannerman Road to the refreshments area.
- Bottled water (ONE for each runner) and a “goody bag” will be handed to you as you exit the chute. Once you receive these, please move some distance from the area to allow other runners room to leave the chute. Please exit the chute as quickly as possible to avoid a pile-up of runners in the chute behind you.
There will be portable toilets and medical service aid tents available at the finish area.
- All race awards will be presented at Bannerman Park beginning at approximately 10:00 am.
- Individual Awards will be presented to the first five (5) overall Male and Female Runners.
- Medals will be presented to the first three (3) male & female finishers in each of the following categories.
Age categories are based on the participant’s year of birth (age as of December 31).
- Self-Propelled Wheelchair (Rules)
- Under 20 yrs
- 20 to 24 yrs
- 25 to 29 yrs
- 30 to 34 yrs
- 35 to 39 yrs
- 40 to 44 yrs
- 45 to 49 yrs
- 50 to 54 yrs
- 55 to 59 yrs
- 60 to 64 yrs
- 65 to 69 yrs
- 70 to 74 yrs
- 75 to 79 yrs
- 80 to 84 yrs
- 85 yrs and Over
These buses have transported your warm-up clothing from the start line to the finish area. Buses will be marked according to bib numbers and remain at the finish line area until 11:30 am. You will need to show the volunteers your bib number to ensure it corresponds with the correct luggage tag to obtain your bag. After race day (Tuesday through Friday), any remaining baggage may be claimed at the NLAA office. Bags not claimed by Friday, June 30, 2023, will be donated to charity or otherwise disposed of.
Returning to the Confederation Building
After the Awards Ceremony, buses will be available to transport participants and spectators back to their vehicles parked at Confederation Building.
Lost & Found
- Anything found by volunteers/officials at the starting area or along the course will be brought to the designated “Lost & Found” tent near the Finish.
- The tent will be available until 11:30 am.
- After this time, items that are of value (ex: phones, keys) will be available for pickup at the NLAA Office.
- Please be advised that for sanitary purposes, any clothing left on the course or at the starting area (not checked into the baggage busses) will not be available for pick-up.
- All clothing items will be appropriately disposed of or otherwise donated to charity.
Results of the 2023 Tely 10 will be posted at nlaa.ca/tely10