THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
- Tracy Lawrence - year 2019
- Helen Mackey - year 2018
- Gordon Brockerville - year 2017
- Keith Glynn - year 2016
- D’Arcy Hart - year 2015
- Derrick Roul - year 2014
- Todd Ralph - year 2013
- Murdock Hiscock - year 2012
- Mark Chancey - year 2011
- Bill Aylward - year 2010
- Nora Hutchings - year 2008
- Ralph Chancey - year 2007
- Harry Cooze - year 2006
- Don Winsor - year 2005
First Recipient (2005): Don Winsor
On behalf of the selection committee I am happy to advise that the winner of this year’s award is Mr. Don Winsor of Happy Adventure, Bonavista Bay.
Don Winsor has had a life time of participation in a variety of sports and a lifetime of encouraging others, especially children, to participate in sports. Don has also worked as a parks and recreation director in the municipal sector.
Don has contributed to the achievement of health through fitness for the population of this province in his regular sports column for the Robinson-Blackmore (now Transcontinental) chain of newspapers in Newfoundland.
Don has always demonstrated the personal drive that comes with participation and the desire to perform well in a sport. He has always demonstrated the commitment to encourage and assist others to know and enjoy the benefits that sports’ participation will bring to one’s life.
The test of his own advice and beliefs came after he encountered his own health challenges that presented physical and emotional setbacks.
Don once described his own condition by saying, "When I get up in the morning and go to the kitchen for breakfast, I feel like my legs are still back in bed."
Three years ago (2002), in anticipation of meeting the challenge of running the Tely 10, Don Winsor found his legs !!
He found as well the courage to commit to the training and the sheer determination to stick with it. And he found the public voice to tell others how it changed his life.
Tonight we are proud to ask Mr. Don Winsor, runner and writer, to step forward and receive the 2005 Dr. John Williams Award for the Tely 10.
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Wednesday, July 15, 2020.
- Please send resume the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.