THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
- Lisa Kelsey - year 2021
- Tracy Lawrence - year 2019
- Helen Mackey - year 2018
- Gordon Brockerville - year 2017
- Keith Glynn - year 2016
- D’Arcy Hart - year 2015
- Derrick Roul - year 2014
- Todd Ralph - year 2013
- Murdock Hiscock - year 2012
- Mark Chancey - year 2011
- Bill Aylward - year 2010
- Nora Hutchings - year 2008
- Ralph Chancey - year 2007
- Harry Cooze - year 2006
- Don Winsor - year 2005
(2019) Recipient: Tracy Lawrence
For this award, we typically announce the winner after we’ve read the nomination. This year, we were so charmed by the 12 year old nominator, we want to bring her up on stage, with her Mom at the beginning so you can all hear the lovely inspiring story she told us about her Mom.
For all this inspired determination, we award the 2019 Dr. John Williams award to Tracy Lawrence.
Come on up Tracy!! Congratulations.
Joining Tracy is her daughter and nominator, 12 year old Kaeira Lawrence, who wrote this wonderful nomination all by herself. Kaeira has run 4 Tely 10 races alongside her mom!!
Also joining us onstage is Dr. Williams’s son, Peter Williams, who will present this award to Tracy.
Heres what Kaeira wrote to us about her Mom:
My mom started running when she was in high school and has loved the sport all her life. After having her first child, she stopped running so that she could focus on raising her family. Years later, about 5 years ago, my Mom decided to get active again… at 43.
She was facing medical issues arising from epilepsy. She was also developing hemiplegic migraines - migraines that mimic a stroke - two new types of seizures and hemiparesis, which is weakness on one side. While she was adjusting to this new situation, you can image that running was not easy for her. My Mom described it as “it’s like driving with a flat on one side of a vehicle”…… All the runners out there can imagine what a challenge that has been. But Tracy agreed with the advice she was given….being active was a great medicine for her medical issues.
Tracy walks or runs EVERY day - she never misses for anything, not even the Newfoundland weather. Just one month ago she was also diagnosed with Celiac disease, and not even that has stopped her. She’s proactively learning to adjust to a gluten-free diet…. which means no more pasta before a race.
Today, Tracy has just finished her 4th Tely 10, alongside her 12 year old daughter who nominated her mom! Bravo to them both.
She has also completed many other small races with her Kaeira, her daughter. She encourages many fellow runners. Kaeira told us – One of Mom’s quotes is “I never let my disability affect my ability to do anything. It reduces stress and improves my health. Every run or ache makes it all worth it.”
Last year she aimed to further inspire more people to walk and run by founding a walk called “Seize the Day” - a 5k fun run to raise funds for epilepsy research. This lady is impressive!!
Tracy Lawrence, congratulations from everyone here today. We are pretty sure your family is very, very proud! Congratulations!!!!
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Wednesday, July 13, 2022.
- Please send the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.