THE DR. JOHN WILLIAMS AWARD
Presented in memory of Dr. John P Williams to the Tely 10 participant who has inspired others through enthusiastic and spirited participation in the annual Telegram 10 Mile Road Race.
Citations for Recipients
- Tracy Lawrence - year 2019
- Helen Mackey - year 2018
- Gordon Brockerville - year 2017
- Keith Glynn - year 2016
- D’Arcy Hart - year 2015
- Derrick Roul - year 2014
- Todd Ralph - year 2013
- Murdock Hiscock - year 2012
- Mark Chancey - year 2011
- Bill Aylward - year 2010
- Nora Hutchings - year 2008
- Ralph Chancey - year 2007
- Harry Cooze - year 2006
- Don Winsor - year 2005
(2018) Recipient: Helen Mackey
This year’s winner is most definitely an inspiration, particularly to the loving daughter who nominated her.
As a single parent who began her life on the Southern Shore in “Admiral’s Cove”, to building a career in the legal field in St. John’s she has overcome many obstacles. She’s a three-time rower in the Royal St. John’s Regatta, a five-time participant in the Tely 10 road race, and a 59-year-old heart-attack survivor!
This impressive woman has participated Tely 10s for the past five years. She may not have had the fastest times; however, she prepared every year, posted thousands of motivational posts and inspiring messages leading up to race day, encouraged other friends and family to join the gym, to run their first Tely and to share her immense amount of enthusiasm and spirit (especially at the finish line). Some of you may have seen some of her numerous Facebook posts, which are widely read by runners from all over the province.
She’s faced numerous challenges in life, the biggest was the heart attack that she suffered in June 2017. That time was an emotional roller coaster for her family and her numerous social media fans who were all shocked and in disbelief that she of all people, one of the busiest and most active women they know could have a heart attack. Many concerned fans even contacted her daughter personally when they noticed her lack of posts online. People legitimately missed her motivation and positivity. They definitely noticed her absence. After spending three weeks in St. Clare’s Hospital she returned home and went back to work, with regular checkups, medical tests, low-stress, and taking various medications as top priority.
One short month later, this most impressive lady participated in and finished the 2017 Tely 10. That deserves a round of applause…. Wow a Tely 10 just one month later! This woman is determined!!
Despite having a heart attack one month before, she quickly prepared physically and mentally, and with her doctor’s approval, she completed the race!! She also lost 20 lbs. in that process and is now strong and healthy, and remains committed to staying with her regular fitness routine. She continues to inspire many other family members and friends to get more physically active, eat healthier and to live life to the fullest.
For all this inspiration and determination, we award the 2018 Dr. John Williams award to Helen Mackey of the Goulds.
Come on up Helen!! Joining Helen is her daughter and nominator, Raylene Mackey.
The award is presented by Dr. Williams’s daughter, Patricia Williams.
To be eligible for this award, the candidate:
- must have participated in the Tely 10 road race at least once
- must have specifically motivated others to participate in the Tely 10, either by walking or running or as a wheelchair participant
- must by participation in the Tely 10 have inspired and motivated others to become physically active
The candidate may be someone who:
- began regular exercise at an advanced age
- overcame a serious emotional or physical challenge in life
- or began exercising while recovering from a serious or life-threatening illness
- Nominations should be sent to Randell Ball, Tely 10 Race Director, before Monday, July 15, 2019.
- Please send resume the nomination via email in Microsoft Word format or Portable Document Format (PDF). Please ensure that the following information is submitted along with the nomination:
- Province & Postal Code
- Province & Postal Code
- Reason for the nomination
- Date & Signature of Nominator
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by any Tely 10 participant or a member of the Organizing Committee.
- All nominations will be carefully considered and voted on by a Selection Committee with the winner decided by majority vote.